Saturday, April 4, 2009

A production worthy of the president's seal...

While on my many perusals through the blogosphere, I ran across a recommendation for a popular, Emmy-winning, television show known as The West Wing. I knew of this show through both its reputation for quality writing and as one of the many suggestions given to me by my mother (whose every word I studiously follow, of course). I am pleasantly surprised to find that my online and familial confidants have been correct in their own evaluation of The West Wing, to the point that I have been giddily watching the first season of this wonderful show.


If I wish to further examine my new found delight as I watch The West Wing, I’ve found that it is key to analyze the current political climate, since this is a show about politics.


With the ousting of a certain cabinet (that, in my honest opinion, had required a good carpenter's refurbishing for quite a while), the world is now in a more optimistic position. Obama and his like-minded allies have joined together to bring forth peace and prosperity out of a time of war and poverty. Gone now are the days of social commentary of likes of The Wire and Battlestar Galactica that did their best to offer optimism in a murky world, whose tough morality would no doubt be of little affect in our happy land.


All is not as it seems though, since the media has been quick to pounce on the faults of Obama and his 'Justice League' as they boringly work to reform our government correctly instead of in the stylized and spectacular way we all were eager for. Then comes The West Wing, tackling social issues and dramatic stories like they were one and the same, sprinkling intelligent and often immensely entertaining dialogue along the way. This show is what I personally want our government to look like, though I doubt it ever would.


The cast is a solid ensemble, from large movie stars to theatrical actors. Charlie Sheen's bravado performances as the president are scene-stealers in the greatest sense of the phrase. Since the show is really about the people advising the president though, the writers' judicial use of him as a character makes his few scenes even greater gems. As a fan of droll liberal characters running off on droll liberal diatribes, I must say that my favorite character is Josh Lyman, the guy involved in nearly all the plots and yet I am still unsure of what he exactly does. I also approve of the rest of the cast, each making their characters feel as though they really carry the burdens of being 'kings of the hill'. When comparing the writing of the show to what is actually seen, it is obvious that the cast are invested in their roles as many improvised lines and additions are present, creating the feel of both real speech and real people.


Nearly every episode is shot within the confines of the set of the White House, making it surprising that each scene is able to feel new and unique in a place that has been scoured by many directors before it. The direction must be commended for the way it flows smoothly, from the show's patented walk-and-talk scenes filled with fast flying plot exposition and even faster wit to the quiet emotional moments that teach us the human faults of both the people and their positions within the government. One of my greatest appreciations of the show is that it doesn't devolve into each character being Gerry-rigged into representing an issue that would be challenged or explored each episode, instead allowing the people in The West Wing natural feelings about the policies that make up our government and the right to exercise their opinions about their beliefs. While I have been accustomed to the preaching of rights of human beings and organizations (I've watched every Star Trek series, which is about as preachy television can get without having a time slot on Sunday mornings), this shows use of preaching is merely there to signify the passion of these characters rather than the aspects of the plot. As with Star Trek, I choose to look at the people making the speeches to get my drama, allowing the obvious content of their words to brush past (though, I must say, a few of the speeches have gotten past my Minnesotan-grown armor and made me teary eyed).


The inspiring urge both the characters and the show provide have made this program an already instant classic in my long career as a television viewer. Instead of going off on a droll liberal diatribe in the name of good shows being rewarded (they already have a few Emmys so I doubt my commendation will matter much), I will simply say this show passed my congress and is officially part of the Bill of Good Television.

No comments:

Post a Comment