Thursday, April 23, 2009

Midwest Memory again

With classes and socialization, it has been pretty hard to blog.

I'm lying... I just can't think of anything to blather on about.

I guess I'll just trudge up another memory that I spent so long trying to forget. Talking about something is the first step of healing, right?


----


A day after a rain storm, my mother and I went out to check on the cattle herd. In our humongous van, we prepared to make our way across a moist and murky landscape (much like my attempt to recall this). The gate to the field was a heavy metal construct (no, I don't mean it was the crap that kids listen to nowadays, I meant it had properties of both steel and other heavy elements). Directly in front of the gate was a large puddle formed by the previous rain.

Eventually getting to the gate, my mom got out to lift the heavy gate and swing it open. The reason I wasn't doing it was that my strength was similar to my maturity, meaning I was pretty weak.

Mother had me get into the driver's seat and instructed me on the key actions I would need to pilot through this gate (because it wouldn't make any sense for my mom to open the gate and walk back to drive through and get out again to close it). Being short, I had to maneuver myself to be close enough to the breaks and have a good view through the windshield. Eventually reaching an equilibrium, I could neither reach the breaks or see through the window. Time to drive!

Hitting the gas with spirit and gump, the van went careening forward. Out of fear of breaking the van with my poor driving, I immediately struck the breaks. Stopping as fast as I started, the van stopped right in the middle of the thick puddle.

It took my mom half an hour to get out. Pretty good for a first try at driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment