Thursday, April 9, 2009

Midwest Memories

I'm not a complete idiot; I realize that Mankato, MN, is still technically in the Midwest United States. It still seems like a good idea to reflect though, due to a lack of other things to blog about.

----

In the days of years past, I would hike across sprawling pastoral fields, admiring the wonders of nature. Whether it was the aggressive competitions between birds over insignificant territory or the decaying flesh of cattle that died well past their prime, nature's message of the circle of life has never been more evident.

During one of these many walks, I spotted a flurry of activity in some nearby bushes. The immature rapscallion in me urged me to hoot and holler, trying to scare whatever was in the bushes out so that I would be able to know what it was and thus blog about it in the future.

The civilized aspect of my personality argued that patience was key when watching nature, convincing me to wait for the creature to expose its identity. Little did I know, I was well on my way to being a grown up.

Oh yeah, back to my friend in the bushes (and no, this isn't a story about college parties).

The animal didn't show itself, leaving me curious for a few moments before my overactive imagination kicked in and I continued on my walk while singing along with the voices in my head.

This story might not have had a point, but at least I'm blogging.

----

If I ever recall anything else from my childhood on the farm, I'll post under Midwest Memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment