Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What became of you, David Brent?

It may seem clichéd to have three posts about comedy in a row, but at least they aren't about science fiction.

7) The Office (BBC)

I enjoy Micheal Scott's idiocy, Dwight Schrute's zaniness, and Jim Halpert's shenanigans just as much as the next
guy/gal/thing. Their comedic timing is spot-on and are probably the funniest thing currently on TV, but they still don't compare to the original.

David Brent's blunders are not simple comedic gags but instead are humorous explorations of society and the blunders of everyday life. Gareth Keenan may be a tad wacky but isn't an off the wall weirdo who freezes cats alive and believes in werewolves. Tim Canterbury's tomfoolery consists of simple impulsive high jinks to lessen his boredom, not
pranks involving hours of forethought. Each character is grounded in the reality we exist in.

Best Moment - During a training session, David Brent retrieves his guitar after being questioned about his musical talent. He then performs the song Freelove Freeway, to either the bemusement or annoyance of everyone there. With Gareth singing along, the ode to love proved that David Brent is a comedic genius.

While the fans of the American version are a force to be reckoned with, the series set in England holds a higher place in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Alden, did I loan you my copies of this? I can't find it anywhere and now that I see you blogging about it I am wondering if you have it.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't think you loaned me this. I watched it first when I borrowed it from Jesse and second when I got it from the library here.

    ReplyDelete